Today on the Bickley and MJ show (XTRA-910 AM) in the 4 o’clock hour, Shane was on to discuss his current situation. We learned a few things about the ownership stalemate and where Shane is regarding being an unrestricted free agent.
- He has a deal done with the Coyotes. All he is waiting for is for Mr. Jamison to buy the team.
- “I want the team to be sold. I want Mr. Jamison to be the owner. I want us to be excited about this upcoming year.”
- Shane’s first priority to to stay in Phoenix. He has offers on the table from other teams he refused to name (was 2-3 or 3-4 teams, he gave both numbers) but is giving Mr. Jamison all the time he can to get the deal consumated.
- September 15th at midnight is the drop dead time for him to sign a deal. That is the time the CBA expires, and any contract he could sign would be greatly reduced financially if it signed after the 15th. Not only would the salary cap be reduced, but the words coming out of the negotations is that the bonus and contract length will be reduced from their current dollars and years. When you consider the dollars the players are already giving up to the escrow, you don’t want to give back any more due to signing on the 16th vs. the 15th.
- If he signs with another team, there are many things he is taking into considering. Theymostly revolve around his family. It is not just signing with a team that is a left winger away from winning the Stanley Cup. His son plays travel, his wife is very active in the community. He’ll be pretty happy with the 3 or 4 teams he has met with. His family and their needs are the ultimate deciding factor.
- He loves playing for Tippett and GMDM. Last year was the most fun he had on the ice. Going to the Western Conference was a large part of it, but seeing all the years the team has struggled finally get success was gratifying.
- Three years of not having an owner has taken its toll on him. You could hear it in his voice and the words he carefully selected. There needs to be resolution to the issue.
- He would not commit that Buffalo has a 4 year 30 million dollar contract waiting his signature.
- He was named the 10th best captain in hockey history. When you think of what he has endured the last three years it is easy to see why he would be ranked as high as he is.
- When asked if he would be interested in being quarterback for the Cardinals, he laughed and said the team will be fine with Skelton and Kolb. Okay, he is the ultimate team guy. The Cardinals will be lucky to get 5 wins this year. They will be looking up at the Lions in the standings.
So we learned a few things, more were affirmed. It was good to hear his voice, but to be honest, I was hoping he was going to announce he had just signed a deal with the Coyotes. His tone was measured. Not defeated, but tired. Mr. Jamison needs to get the deal done, sign Shane, then go back to the City of Glendale and hammer them. If they want to play hardball with you, the fans will understand and give their support to the Coyotes. It’s not a Frank McCourt situation. Goldwater and the Save Glendale Now will not stop before the September 15th deadline. Take care of business now, worry about November then. Glendale First is on your side.