There came a point in last night’s 4-2 loss against the Toronto Maple Leafs that all we wanted to happen was for the team to not lose their Power Play Goal streak. They had had 7 straight games with at least one PPG up until last night and it was beginning to look like the Maple Leafs might shut them out. Then the 3rd Period started and things turned to our favor. Things didn’t turn all the way to our favor. I mean, we lost the game, but at least we can hang our hat on an 8 game PPG streak.
The Maple Leafs have now won six games in a row. It’s hard to argue that they are not one of the better teams in the NHL right now. They’re record, 26-20-5, has them firmly holding onto the first Wild Card spot for the Eastern Conference. However, everyone in the locker room of the Phoenix Coyotes were not impressed. This was a team the Yotes should have handled and handled easily.
In the end Coach Tippett felt that it was our game to lose and we simply gave it away.
When you give the opposition those opportunities on turnovers and they capitalize, you’re going to be chasing the game, and that’s exactly what happened. There are little things that come back to haunt us off and on all year, and those continue to be areas of concern and areas we have to improve in. – Tippy
But let’s not bemoan the point. The Coyotes lost another one and this needs to serve as a reminder of how precious each win is from here on out. Let’s get to the scoring RECAP.
1st Period: The Coyotes gave up 2 goals the Leafs should have never even had a chancing of getting.
- Leafs Nazem Kadri catches a bouncer from behind the net, feeds it to Jake Gardiner who shoves it in. 1-0 Leafs.
- On a PPG Kessel gets an assist from Cody Franson and wrists it in. 2-1 Leafs.
2nd Period: Things did not get better for the Coyotes despite solid play in the quarter. SOG just do not matter if you can’t make one land.
- Kyle Gunnarsson puts in a rebound making it 3-0 nothing. At this point the game was about pride with 15 SOG and nothing to show for it in the frame.
3rd Period: The Yotes make it a game.
- Yandle feeds Ribiero on a PP and Ribby wrists it in. 3-1 Leafs.
- Jake Gardiner returns the favor to Kadri who wrists it past Smith. 4-1 Leafs.
- Korpikiski streaks one to Vermette who puts it on net. 4-2 Leafs FINAL.
In the end, the boys in Sedona Red made it interesting. But interesting is not enough to give a team playoff chances. If the Yotes don’t start taking advantage of home ice soon they may as well start practicing their golf swings. That’s all for now, until next time, stay ornery Arizona.
If you want the best deals on Phoenix Coyotes tickets, visit TiqIQ.com for great deals on the best seats all season long.