How ‘bout them Coyotes?! Arizona completes another week of games and stays hot, topping both the Lightning and the Blue Jackets. Going 2-0-1, making it 4-0-3 since the break, they have scored at least a point in every game. It’s a breath of fresh air, and it’s been fun to watch this team play to its potential. While this week’s news will mainly be dominated by trade rumors and speculation for the Coyotes, their play on the ice shouldn’t be overlooked. We’ll break down the scores and three stars, have some ‘Yotes Notes and look ahead to the rest of this week’s matchups.
Arizona Coyotes vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
1st Star: Connor Ingram
2nd Star: Clayton Keller
3rd Star: Brian Elliot
Arizona Coyotes @ Los Angeles Kings
1st Star: Kevin Fiala
2nd Star: Clayton Keller
3rd Star: Matt Roy
Arizona Coyotes vs. Columbus Blue Jackets
1st Star: Barrett Hayton
2nd Star: Nick Schmaltz
3rd Star: Travis Boyd
- The 1st period against the lightning was rough for Arizona. They were outshot 21-7.
- Barrett Hayton is really playing well. He steals the puck early in the 2nd period and almost nets the breakaway. He followed that up later in the period with a really nice drop pass to Schmaltz that should have been put away but missed.
- Ingram played out of his mind against the Lightning. Arizona was defensively suspect again, and had he not been lights out it would have gotten ugly.
- Schmaltz and Keller net both shootout goals. Keller’s was the game-winner, and it was especially nasty.
- Vejmelka got absolutely lit up by the Kings. Hopefully, he’ll shake it off next start.
- Josh Brown scores the first goal for Arizona against L.A. He’s been playing well lately.
- The Kings’ chrome helmets are really ugly. They look like they are cheap knock-offs of the Notre Dame helmets.
- If the Coyotes don’t bring in a veteran captain this off-season, I hope they go with Clayton Keller. He is their energizer and playmaker. His line single-handedly has taken over since the break with him leading the charge.
- Ingram came in off the bench after Vejmelka gave up five goals in the first and shut it down until the shootout loss.
- Rocking the Desert Nights again, they win in OT against Columbus.
- This was Ghost’s first game back from injury. It was great to see him on the ice.
- Ritchie and Brown both got into fights in a scrappy game.
- Barrett Hayton nets the OT winner on a pass from Maccelli.
- Ingram played well again. That’s two starts and a relief effort that were all solid. Makes one wonder if the Coyotes will consider moving Vejmelka based on how he’s playing.
2/22: Vs. Calgary
2/26: Vs. Nashville