Well, the party had to end eventually. After starting out 4-0-3 and scoring a point in each game since the break, Arizona hit the wall. They were absolutely drubbed by the Calgary Flames in a 6-3 loss that wasn’t even as close as the final score. They followed it up with a disappointing showing against Nashville, giving up another six-pack this time losing 6-2. The Coyotes did not end the homestand on a sour note, however, as they lit up the Blackhawks. They bounced back with a resounding 4-1 win. Below we have the score recap, three stars, and ‘Yotes Notes.
Calgary vs. Arizona
First Star: Elias Lindholm
Second Star: Tyler Toffoli
Third Star: Clayton Keller
Nashville vs. Arizona
First Star: Roman Josi
Second Star: Matt Duchene
Third Star: Nick Schmaltz
Chicago vs. Arizona
First Star: Jack McBain
Second Star: Nick Schmaltz
Third Star: Travis Boyd
- The Coyotes were outshot 18-3 in the first period against Calgary.
- Keller had a sweet feed across the ice to Schmaltz who nets a goal. This line’s chemistry is unreal, they produce most of the team’s offense.
- The Coyotes go up 3-1 in the 2nd period against Calgary and are outshot 30-8. However, they give up five unanswered goals, losing 6-3.
- Arizona gave up three powerplay goals against Calgary.
- This one wasn’t on Vejmelka, he was absolutely left hanging by terrible defense yet again. He faced 52 shots and Calgary scored on three powerplays.
- ‘Yotes rocked the awesome Desert Nights jersey against Nashville.
- Ghost starts the scoring and it’s also his 300th point. He scores on a PK breakout off a face-off win.
- Schmaltz scores again, his ninth in the past 11 games.
- Stecher comes in on the net during the third period with an out of nowhere spin-o-rama and almost buries it. Aside from Ghost getting his 300th point that was the highlight of the night for Arizona.
- Ingram was shaky in this one. He wasn’t helped defensively by any stretch, but three of the six goals were completely on him.
- The Coyotes have given up seven power-play goals over the past 4 games.
- Another cross-ice pass from Keller to Schmaltz who buried the one-timer against Chicago. This line is one of the best in the NHL.
- Athanasiou scores on a turnover for Chicago. He’s one of the players the Coyotes should consider signing this off-season. He’s a playmaker.
- The Coyotes dominated the Blackhawks in all phases of the game.
- Vejmelka was great in the net, showing no aftereffects from the nightmare against Calgary.
3/1: @ Dallas
3/3: vs. Carolina
3/5: vs. New Jersey